Volunteer wheat on fallow, 2015.
News & Events
- Summer fallow with volunteer wheat.
- Winter fallow.
- Plant spring cover crop mix.
- Terminate cover crop in July.
- Plant fall cover crop mix (winter kills in winter).
- Summer fallow (beans planned but too dry to plant).
- Plant Fall cover crop (species to overwinter into Spring 2018).
- Terminate cover crop Summer 2018.
As a young farmer, Levi Garchar has been growing winter wheat, dry beans and sunflowers on approximately 1400 acres. In 2011, he experimented with peas as a cover crop.
Levi selects cover crop mixtures for testing on his farm in collaboration with the project team. He assists with project planning and presentations for outreach activities.