- Take baseline soil samples/data.
- Plant fall cover crop (half of field).
- Plant winter wheat (half of field).
- Terminate fall cover crop if it did not winterkill.
- Plant spring cover crop (half of field).
- Terminated spring cover crop in mid-summer.
- Plant winter wheat in cover crop trial area.
- Collect wheat samples (half of field).
Located in Southeastern Utah, Steve Barry has been producing dryland winter wheat and alfalfa on his family’s homestead. The farm has been in no-till operation for over ten years. Other practices used on the site include cover crop rotations and the incorporation of cover crop mixtures into cash crop production.
Steve Barry assists in project planning and manages a field site on his farm.